Disaster Risk Management Committee
Type: Standing Committees
The Disaster Risk Management Committee (DRMC) is a Standing Committee of ICOM dedicated to emergency response for museums. DRMC gathers museum-related professionals from different parts of the world that monitor cultural heritage emergencies and stand ready to provide advice and assistance to international colleagues and their institutions upon request.
Dedicated to initial response after major natural and human-made disasters as well as during and after military conflicts, ICOM-DRMC:
- Aims at quickly assessing the situation for museums and heritage sites confronted with disasters, in order to immediately evaluate their most pressing needs;
- Aspires to mainly act in events where the situation surpasses national capabilities for response;
- Monitors disasters, develops response mechanisms for heritage at risk, and proposes solutions for museums in emergency situations;
- Supports long term capacity building of expert knowledge and regional networks;
- Promotes public awareness for heritage in danger;
- Liaises with the international heritage community by exchanging and sharing information related to emergency situations that put cultural heritage at risk.
Chair: Hanna PENNOCK (The Netherlands)
Vice-Chair: Lisa PILOSI (United States)
Members: Maria Izabel BRANCO RIBEIRO (Brazil), Ossama EL MEGUID (Egypt), Anette HANSEN (Denmark), Tamman KHASAWNEH (Jordan), Jong-Sok KIM (South Korea), Yuji KURIHARA (Japan), Alejandra PENA-GUTIERREZ (Puerto Rico, United States) and Ihor POSHYVAILO (Ukraine)
Ex-officio: Emma NARDI (Italy) (President of ICOM)
ICOM Secretariat: Edward OAKES (Heritage Protection Coordinator)