21 April 17.00 CEST
Keywords: Climate action, climate justice, Most Affected People and Areas (MAPA), Black and indigenous people of colour (BIPOC), environmental sustainability, social sustainability, visitor activation, community activation
On the occasion of Earth Day 2021, this ICOM webinar (in English) will cover issues related to sustainability and museums. Bringing together museum professionals from four different regions, the panel discussion will include what sustainability means in different parts of the world, with a focus on how partnerships and communication can empower success.
Each panelist will discuss what sustainability looks like in their region and how museums are addressing these issues. The webinar will then look at how global partnerships and collaboration can support implementation of sustainability locally, and how local partnerships and collaborations can inspire sustainable practices globally.
The format will be an informal discussion. After a brief presentation from each panelist, a roundtable will address the topics presented by panelists, as well as some of the following questions:
- What does sustainability mean in your regional context, as a museum professional?
- What does sustainability mean to museums?
- What is the most important role that museums can play in supporting the UN SDGs and Agenda 2030?
- How can our regions work together to address issues regarding sustainability collectively?
- How can we foster more collaboration and partnerships with other museums in different parts of the world?
- How can we foster more collaboration with local organizations and with our local communities?
Following the round table discussion, we will open up for questions from the audience.
To watch the webinar, follow the link below
(max 300 participants. If you are unable to join the webinar, it will be recorded and shared on Youtube in the following days):
Caitlin Southwick, Secretary, ICOM WGS; Founder and Executive Director, Ki Culture
- Frances Morris, Director, Tate Modern, London, UK
- Prof. George Okello Abungu of Okello Abungu Heritage Consultants, Nairobi and Emeritus Director General, National Museums of Kenya.
- Zahida Quadri, Antiquities Department, Government of Sindh Executive Board Member ICOM Pakistan
- Helen Gutiérrez, Project Officer La Ruta del Clima, San José, Costa Rica