“Museums for reconciliation: communities, pedagogies and memories” is the next training programme organised by the International Council of Museums (ICOM), the Museum of Historical Memory of Colombia (MMHC) and ICOM-Colombia.
The workshop will take place in the Museum La Tertulia in Cali, Colombia, from 7 to 11 October 2019, and a series of grants will be offered to 25-30 participants coming from different countries of the region.
With this training programme ICOM and the MMHC want to promote reflection on the museological and pedagogical challenges that contemporary Latin American museums are facing when developing projects and activities linked to the construction of memories, conflicts, processes of resistance and resilience, dialogue and reconciliation.
The trainers of this programme will be Marilia Bonas, Head of the Memorial da Resistência de São Paulo, Brazil, and Armando Perla, Manager of Museum Development and Strategic Partnerships at the Museum of Movements in Malmo, Sweden.
Call for applications – Criteria
To apply for this programme, candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Being member of ICOM or committing to join the organisation if selected;
- Occupying middle-management position in a museum of Latin America;
- Aged 45 years or under by 31 December 2019;
- Fluent in Spanish.
Applications must be accompanied by the following documents in Spanish:
- A Curriculum Vitae of the applicant indicating training, work experience, publications and current work responsibilities (one or two pages maximum);
- A fully completed Application Form (see below);
- A motivation statement (one page);
- A letter of recommendation from the director of the applicant’s institution;
- Proof of payment of 2019 membership fees, if applicable (copy of the card with 2019 sticker or official document from the National Committee);
- A copy of the first page of the applicant’s passport (ID for Colombian candidates). IMPORTANT: Your passport needs to be valid at least until 30 March 2020.
All applications should be submitted through the online form before midnight (CET+1), July 14, 2019.
Types of grants
Two types of grants will be offered to ensure the participation of the selected participants:
For museum professionals coming from Latin American countries (excepting those living in Cali) the programme will cover:
- participation costs;
- roundtrip economy-class air/bus ticket;
- meals and coffee breaks.
For participants living in Cali:
- participation costs;
- lunches and coffee breaks.
Visa costs, insurance coverage and other expenses not explicitly stated above are at the expenses of the participants.
Photo: Juan Pablo Daza. Courtesy CNMH. Artist Carolina Caycedo with her work Atarraya, Exhibition Voces para Transformar a Colombia del MMHC. 2018